SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Chelsayeee
Style_council
Chelsayeee

So i want to start thrift shopping because a lot of people are finding amazing clothes, jewelry, etc for low prices. There are tons of thrift stores where i live and ive never been in one! I want to get into thrifting, its just that i dont know where to start haha. Any tips for a first timer?

posted over 9 years ago
1 2
Chelsayeee
Style_council
Chelsayeee

Wow amazing advice people!

posted over 9 years ago

tanyabell
Style_council
tanyabell

I disagree on “not buying sweaters”. I’ve purchased 3 from thrift stores…including a great vintage acrylic puff-sleeved one and they are all beautiful. I use Cheer and hang dry most clothes to keep them in top shape.

I usually don’t buy anything cotton or black…blacks are usually dingy. HOWEVER, yesterday I did find a great black pencil [with ruffle accent] skirt for $1 and it’s perfect! You really just have to keep an open mind…and eye. ;)

posted over 9 years ago

EmmaLucey
Style_council
EmmaLucey

Its fun finding something and fitting it to your personal style. Its great finding amazing vintage items but just as much fun finding something simple and styling it to look amazing.

(to anita who found pills etc, i once bought a leather bag and checked the pockets to find a whole bunch of extremely rude pictures. Lets just say this girl must have felt very comfortable naked. Hmm very very unpleasant. I screamed and ran to throw them in the bin haha they were that bad)

posted over 9 years ago

kathleenphails
Style_council
kathleenphails

I’ve realized patience is key. You really need to search to find something. Also, don’t purchase something too big or small just because of the wonderful price. I’ll admit, there are exceptions- but often the item ends up rotting in your closet.

posted over 9 years ago

franchettezapanta
Style_council
franchetteza...

Thrifting is simply the best! Crossroads, Goodwill, and Saver’s are some splendid local thrift shops in my area. Oh, the bargains you’ll find! Here are some tips: Buying SHOES are controversial. You have to get them cleaned professionally in order for you to wear them safely.My friend found FUNGI in a pair of shoes he bought from a thrift store! YIKES! But actually, washing clothing bought from thrift stores/garage sales is definitely essential. You just don’t know where these things have been! And as for jewelry, especially earrings..I suggest you sterilize them thoroughly in hot water before wearing! I hope this helps!(:

posted over 9 years ago

sincerelyAri
Style_council
sincerelyAri

I’ve never gone thrift shopping.!! I think i should start.!!

posted over 9 years ago

sbhebae
Style_council
sbhebae

yesss..thrift storees are great!! you have to bring some hand sanitizer. and most imporrtant of all. you will have to WASH your clothes before wearing them.

posted over 8 years ago

kia
Style_council
kia

I am more a thrifter for accessories:
1) Check the scarf racks! I got 8 lovely scarfs for $1 each or less one day (many of which I have pictured on my chicblog). After that day I never want to buy a scarf for “department store” prices again :)
2)Shoe rack! I found some good “teacher shoes” that were lightly used. Wear the pants/skirt you think you would wear them with (i wore my dress pants) and walk around A LOT in them. I bought a pair of flats a half size smaller than I wear and they felt fine in store. But when I wore them out to dinner I couldn’t stand them, they were too small.
3) Jewelry rack: you can find some really nice vintage pieces here! I bought an anchor pin, and flowered necklace, and some sailor earrings!
4) Clothing: I have had no luck with clothing so far. I get my clothing fairly cheap at the mall so I refuse to pay anything over $5 for clothing thrifting. You really have to comb the racks, and none of the thrift stores I have been to have fitting rooms :( I want to buy a fun vintage dress, and a “ugly christmas sweater” at some point.

Make sure you wear plain clothing (a lot of the thrift stores I go to are for the very poor) and that you are comfortable. Consider going with a friend (so that you can cover twice the ground, and so someone can keep an eye on you) and bring a shoulder bag that is light with a water bottle! And yes, hand sanitizer is a must!

posted over 8 years ago

chasingchances
Style_council
chasingchances

Wear a nude/black singlet so you can quickly chuck on clothes over the ones you are wearing! I always look for accessories, handbags are my favourite thing to buy for cheap!

posted over 8 years ago

amymarie
Style_council
amymarie

have the mindset that you’ll not always find sometihng

posted over 8 years ago

opfiend
Style_council
opfiend

If you’re looking for a blazer, check the boy’s and the men’s sections.
Look in the lingerie for slips to wear under skirts.

posted over 8 years ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password